Volunteering Opportunities with Discovery
What do Discovery volunteers do?
Our volunteers are integral to everything that Discovery achieves and form a key part of our tight-knit team.
One of the best things about being part of the Discovery courses is that no two days are ever the same! Having the ability to make a lasting positive impact on the lives of the children and young people who come to Discovery takes a certain kind of individual. You’ll need to be patient, committed, supportive, adaptable and have a strong commitment to having fun!
You’ll be taking a very practical role in the sessions, so some basic equestrian knowledge and confidence in handling horses is essential. On some days you’ll be getting involved in grooming the horses, on other days it may be teaching them how to tack up and the parts of a saddle and bridle, whilst sometimes it could be simple stable management tasks.
Regardless of the topic your role could be instructor, mentor, mediator, teacher, coach, or role model.
What qualifications or experiences do I need to become a Discovery volunteer?
You will support our students as they build confidence in a range of tasks. These could include;
- Getting ready for the session; changing into appropriate footwear and riding hat
- Putting a headcollar on a horse/pony
- Filling and tying up a haynet
- Grooming, leading, and tacking up a horse/pony
- Mucking out and sweeping the yard
- Learning parts of the tack
- Practicing long-reining skills around the yard
- Building an obstacle course and leading the horse/pony around it
- Previous horse-handling experience
- Calm, confident manner around horses and vulnerable young people
- Non-judgemental and positive attitude
- Empathy with the course objectives
- Experience of supervising or working with vulnerable children or teenagers
- An understanding of safeguarding and confidentiality regarding children and young people
How do I become a Discovery volunteer?
Just download the information form at the bottom of this page, complete your details, return it to us either by email or post, and our team will be in touch to have a chat about the opportunities we currently have available.